Spanish Influenza – Part 6

Compiled by Martha Valentine

Friday, 30th May 1919

ASSISTANCE WANTED. – For the past fortnight the Borough Council has been calling for an applicant to assist with the washing at Nurse McEvey’s hospital.  Although the word voluntary is mentioned, it is not an honorary position, as the person taking up the work will be remunerated.  Mr Presswell, town clerk, will be pleased to explain what is required and the remuneration to be received to applicants.

– – – – – – – – – – – –


Wm. S. ELLIS On Wednesday evening the death of William Stains Ellis took place at Nurse McEvey’s Hospital, after a sharp attack of pneumonia.  The deceased was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Wm. J. Ellas, of Lilliput, and was in his 34th year.  During Easter week he was married at Wangaratta to Miss Curtis, and after returning home from the honeymoon he contracted a cold and showed pneumonia indications, and was brought into the private hospital for treatment.  He was a fine young man and gained the respect of all who knew him.  He leaves his wife, father, mother and a brother to mourn the loss of one who was always dear to them.  On Thursday a large number of friends followed the funeral cortege to Carlyle Cemetery, where the Rev. Woodfall, assisted by Mr Julian, (Methodist Church) conducted a very impressive burial service.  The funeral was carried out by Messrs Jasper Bros

Friday, 13th June 1919

DEATH. – On Tuesday night, after an illness of six weeks, Mrs Nettie A. Brown, wife of Mr W. Brown, of Gooramadda, died at Nurse McEvey’s hospital suffering from influenza, and when she had nearly shaken of the influenza other complications set in and brought the end of life.  The deceased lady was 46 years of age, and during her many years’ residence at Gooramadda gained the respect and esteem of all residents.  She leaves her husband and a son by former marriage to mourn their great loss.  The shock was a sever one to Mr Brown, who was expecting to have the pleasure to take his wife home in a few days, when the extra complications set in.  General sympathy has been extended to Mr Brown in his bereavement.  On Thursday a number of friends followed the remains to Barnawartha Cemetery, where the interment took place.  Mr R Ready had charge of the funeral arrangements.

Tuesday, 5th August 1919


The secretary stated that he received a telephone message from the Health Officer (Dr F.R. Featherstone) who recommended that owing to the increase of influenza all schools in the Shire be closed for a week. Cr Morris moved that

Tuesday, 26th August 1919

WAHGUNYAH. – Mr William Morley, a well-known resident of Wahgunyah, passed away at the Corowa Hospital recently, pneumonia and pleurisy being the cause, following an attack of influenza.  The deceased young man was only 26 years of age and was born, and lived all his life at Wahgunyah; he was of a quiet and unassuming nature and was exceedingly well liked by a large circle of acquaintances, and his early demise is very much regretted.  Although he did not actively participate in sport, he was an enthusiastic supporter of rowing, cricket and football, and at the time of his death was an office holder in the Border United Football Club, the members of which club wore mourning bands in the Rovers-Corowa match out of respect for the deceased.  One of the saddest features in connection with his death was the fact that his father died just twelve months ago, the result of a vehicular accident, and much sympathy is felt for his widowed mother, who has thus been doubly bereaved in the course of twelve months.  He leaves, in addition to his mother, one brother, James, and two sisters, Mary (Wahgunyah) and Mrs Stan. Nott (Rutherglen), to all of whom we extend our heartfelt sympathy.  The deceased was interred in the Corowa Old Cemetery.

Friday, 29th August 1919


The death occurred in the Corowa hospital on Friday, August 22nd, of Mrs King, wife of Mr J. King, of Wahgunyah.  The deceased lady, in company with her husband, was about to proceed to Melbourne some months ago with a view to taking up their residence there.  Owing to the influenza being bad at the time they altered their minds, and after spending a few days in Wangaratta they returned to Wahgunyah.  It was during her short stay in Wangaratta that she contracted pneumonic influenza, which was the cause of death.  She was 52 years of age at the time of her death.  A son and daughter (both grown up), in addition to the bereaved husband, are left to mourn the victim.

Friday, 7th November 1919


A bill was passed in the Legislative Assembly giving municipalities power to raise money to defray their half cost of the influenza epidemic.  The bill provides that municipalities may increase the general rate up to three-pence, or they may borrow the sum necessary without submitting the question of the loan to the ratepayers.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.