History of the Common School.
The site was gazetted in May of 1862. In 1868 the committee tried to purchase the recently closed school building of Margaret Johnston, situated on one acre. The Common School Committee tried to by the building from her in 1868 for £50.Which it was valued at. She wanted £85 for it.
The School started in the Town Hall, rented for 7/6d a week. The building was 65 x 30 feet. Tenders were called in 1872 for the erection of a two rooms, one being 44 x 18 feet and the other 18 x 15 feet. This building was opened at the start of 1873, with 84 children, but rose to between 275 and 300. In 1879 two additional rooms, each 50 x 18 feet were added. By 1897 there were 400 children attending, and the Town Hall was again hired. The present building was completed on 15th. December 1908 at a cost of £6,320, and opened on the 3rd.February 1909.